July 9, 2012

Jersey Refashion

As I mentioned last Monday, Paul and I are on a Monday evening rec. softball league. I love playing, but I didn't love my "jersey."
Marissa (in original jersey) and Paul.
I have seen a lot of people online use fitted t-shirts that they like as patterns so I decided to give it a try. Since I had so much extra material I also decided to shape the bottom of my jersey like a traditional baseball jersey. I used sewing chalk to trace my fitted t-shirt as well as the shirt tails from another blouse, plus 3/4" for the seam allowance. However, if you don't have a blouse that is rounded at the bottom you could easily fold the shirt in half length wise and trace a wide bowl.
Original t-shirt.

Fitted t-shirt pattern.

Rounded shirt tails.

Chalked cutting lines.

Chalk outline.
 Then I cut along the chalk lines, turned the t-shirt "inside out" so the right sides were together, and pinned and sewed up the side seams. Finally I hemmed the bottom of the t-shirt and sleeve arms. I decided to leave the sleeves longer, again to resemble a real baseball jersey. My jersey turned out a little bit tighter than I would have liked. If I do this again I would leave at least 1-2" for the seam allowance instead of just 3/4". Remember to use a stretch stitch and ball point needle for sewing on knits!
Cut out jersey material.

Pinned side seams.

Wearing the finished product!

6 comments:

  1. SO GREAT! You need to use white thread and go over the seams! You can usually see the thread on jerseys, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sooo cute. Way more attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Man I wish I had this "crafty" when I was in school....would have saved me from many oversized shirts. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gals are so clever and have such a talent!

    ReplyDelete