July 13, 2012

Custom Kitchen Curtains

I've been having a lot of fun decorating our first place. Today I decided to tackle the kitchen by adding custom window treatments to my bare windows. Of course I had to do dishes and wash the windows too!

Kitchen windows before.
To begin I measured each window's width and added 5", 2" for the depth of the curtain rod on each side and 1/2" seam allowance for each side. You can add more width if you would like your valance to be more full and gathered. I also estimated how long I wanted the valance to be and added 4", 3" for the top and pocket and 1/2" seam allowance for both the top and bottom.

Left curtain pattern.
I began sewing by hemming each side 1/2". Then I hemmed the bottom of the curtain 1/2". Finally I turned over 3 1/2" on the top and made two seams, one 1 1/2" down from the top and one 3" down from the top.

The whole project only took me about an hour!

Looking home-y!

No comments:

Post a Comment