July 4, 2012

Star Bright !

I want to wish you all a happy Independence Day!
This fun little bit of crafting is striking and economical. This is a paper star made to mimic the look of a metal star. I think a star would be nice for a birthday party or Christmas, as well as celebrating most anything.
I started with a scrap piece of light weight cardboard, (cereal boxes work great), and a star pattern. I got my pattern from Google. I traced the pattern onto the cardboard. I wanted my star a little larger than a standard size piece of paper that the printer allowed. I needed to add 3/4 of an inch to each side of the star to make it the size I wanted.

The next step is to score the cardboard from the tip of each point to the opposite side of the star.
When you are done scoring each point all the way across, you can then fold hills and valleys to make the dimensions of the star.

                                     
 Then paint your star any color that you find pleasing. Acrylic paint is the best option. I spray painted the entire star white to start with, then added color to each of the points.  After I got done painting I wanted to add some stars. I used a small star punch and scrap paper and some glue stick to add them to the blue field of my star.

I used regular paper glue, but Modge Podge would also work well.

I used and antique medium that I have on hand from some other project to add an aged appearance. I just used a rag to wipe on and wipe off the medium. I have been known to use shoe polish in a crafting "emergency".

Here is the finished project!!  I am very pleased with the results and will have this proudly displayed in my home.

1 comment: