April 15, 2013

Lemon "Brownies"


Citrus, Lemon-Aid, Lime Popsicles... They are all up my alley, so when I found this recipe on Pinterest I KNEW I had to remake it.  One problem, "Dis girl right hur got da food allergies like WHOAH!" A few alterations later and I was good to go...

The main issues in this recipe was the flour. However, my wonderful mother, makes an all purpose flour mixture for me that DOES NOT contain corn, soy, or wheat. Its the only flour I have in my apartment to avoid temptation. My mom uses rice, almond, and coconut or sorghum flours to make this all purpose flour.

Also, this recipe didn't say what size pan to use so I used my 8x8 glass Pyrex pan and took them out right at 23 minutes. As you can see below the edges were starting to turn brown just like the blog said they would.

I followed the directions for the glaze precisely until I realized it was SO LEMONY!! I love lemon, but I had to add a touch more powdered sugar. Speaking of powdered sugar, did you know it has corn starch in it? YUP! I'm allergic to corn so I have to take granulated sugar and grind it into powdered sugar. A coffee grinder works well for this. To add a little texture and taste variation I added a few pinches of raw coconut flakes to the glaze.

At the end of the day, these "brownies" weren't as fluffy as they would have been with wheat flower, but they still tasted like I bit into sunshine, so you wont find me complaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment