October 18, 2013

Magnetic Covered Buttons


I was thrilled when I recently found this piece of material in the salvage section at JoAnn!


I made this scarf with the material I found. Love it? It's listed in my Etsy shop!


I love the material too, so I decided to use the scraps to make covered button magnets! I have made covered buttons before and was familiar with the process, but it is very simple and the packaging includes instructions if this is something you would like to try.


First I traced around the guide (included in the package), making flower or leaf patterns center when possible, and cut out the circular shapes.


Next I placed the material face down in the mold (also included in the package), put the button shell on top, and pushed both down into the mold.


Then, I pushed the excess material down into the cavern and cover with the button back. I chose the back without a button shank (the package I purchased had both options) because I would soon be gluing a magnet to the back.


Finally I used the blue pusher tool (included in the package), to firmly push the back down into the shell of the button, with the excess material sandwiched in between.


Ta-Da, buttons covered! The last thing I needed to do to complete my covered button magnets was glue circular magnets on the back.


Be careful not to use too much glue. I used Elmer's Glue-All Max and found that some had bubbled over the following day.




I used my magnets on a framed piece of metal above my desk (another craft for another day!) I love showcasing some of my favorite things here!



No comments:

Post a Comment