August 9, 2013

Preserving the taste of summer!



Basil just says "summer", doesn't it? I love the fragrance of basil when the sun warms it. I love the taste of basil fresh in a tomato dish. I love a hint of basil on a grilled cheese sandwich. All in all I think basil is the taste of summer and I always long for a hint of summer in January when the snow is up to my hips (I am short) and it is gloomy and cold outside.
I got crafty today and was able to get quite a harvest of basil and parsley. Here is the end result of the pesto making efforts.The jars will go into the freezer for one daughter. The ice cube tray will go into the freezer just till they are solid and then they will go into a freezer bag for individual servings later. That is a great way to use pesto if you have fewer people to feed at your house. The bigger container will be used for a family event. It might be used on a couple chicken/pesto pizzas or maybe some pasta dish. 
It almost makes winter sound not so bad.

Here is my Pesto recipe.
2 cups clean fresh basil
1 cup clean fresh parsley (I prefer curly)
2-3 cloves of garlic
4 Tablespoons of sunflower seeds
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Blend till creamy. Freezes well if you have any left.

I hope you are able to preserve some of your summer flavors too.

1 comment: