December 1, 2011

Advent Is Here

Hello all, this is Sheryl, one of the mommas, Mom to Marissa and Krista and daughter to Helen.
Over the years one of the family crafts that we have enjoyed has been the advent wreath. Some years it has been a real wreath. Some years it has been an odd shape or unique material. The main requirement was that we all slow down enough to meditate for a bit on the real meaning of Christmas. This year I didn't have small kids to "help" make the wreath or give input so I got crafty on my own. While I listened to the old and familiar scripture and songs of the season I thought about Emmanuel, God With Us. With out being weird I just sort of saw what I wanted to make while I was singing Emmanuel. I didn't really think about it, I just could see a vision of what I wanted to make. I hope that it will be an encouragement to you and those that enter our home during this season.
I started by stenciling the letters onto a piece of corrugated white plastic that I had at the house left over from another craft project. Then I cut the letters out with a combination of scissors and Exacto knife.

Next I spray painted the word white just to freshen it up a bit and painted on some silver glitter.


When it was dry I added it to the mantel arrangement. I have it arranged to be our Advent "wreath" The Christ candle is in the center of the mantel and you can see it in the middle of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment