May 14, 2014

Natural Laundry

In the theme of my natural living transformation I revamped my laundry routine over the weekend. I made a super quick and easy laundry soap recipe which only took a few ingredients and was very inexpensive plus made a few dryer balls using my mother's technique posted earlier this week!

For the laundry soap recipe you will need:
  1. Fels-Napths
  2. Washing Soda
  3. Borax
  4. Water
  5. Essential Oils


Laundry Soap Recipe
Grate 1/4 bar Fels-Naptha soap into a sauce pan with 6 cups of water. Heat and stir until dissolved. Add 1/2 cup washing soda and 1/2 cup Borax. Stir until dissolved.



Add 4 cups hot water to large stock pot. Slowly add soap mixture and gently stir. Slowly add 1 gallon (16 cups) warm water. Divide into 4, 1/2 gallon containers and add 20-30 drops essential oil to each.

Suggested essential oils include: Thieves, Purification, Orange, Lemon, Lavender, and Peppermint. I tried the Thieves, Lemon and Peppermint. I'm really enjoying wrapping up in my Thieves towels after a relaxing shower!


I used a recycled laundry detergent container and a few other glass containers I had on hand because the recipe made SO MUCH more soap than I originally thought. You will want to make sure that you have multiple recycled laundry detergent containers on hand when you make this recipe, or you may want to half the recipe.

Afterward I made a few dryer balls using the technique my mother shared earlier in the week. I used a wool poly blend sweater and 100% wool yarn. It took a whole skein of yarn to make these two balls. 


I'm really enjoying my new laundry routine and think my husband is too, as soon as I can get him to remember to ditch the old fabric softeners!

No comments:

Post a Comment