April 13, 2014

Pit Problem

I have a problem, and it is the pits! Yellow armpit stains to be exact.


When I took this picture I could only wear this shirt if I was layering it under something. Fortunately, Pinterest has tons of tips on how to remove these kinds of stains. Unfortunately, Pinterest has TONS of tips on how to remove these kinds of stains. Because this is a problem I consistently have I decided to give a few of them a try.


This shirt is 100% cotton and was socked in 1 Tbsp. of Oxi Clean for a few hours.


This shirt is 100% cotton and was soaked in 1 Tbsp. of dish soap and 2 Tbsp. of peroxide for a few hours. This Pinterest tip suggested that baking soda also be used for extra tough stains, so I tried this shirt without using baking soda and the one below with baking soda.


This shirt is 70% cotton, 26% polyster, and 4% spandex and was soaked in 1 Tbsp. of dish soap and 2 Tbsp. of peroxide for a few hours. While the pits of the shirt were still moist I rubbed in about 1 tsp. of baking soda.


This shirt is 47% cotton, 47% modal, and 6% spandex and was soaked is warm water with two aspirin for a few hours.

After these shirts were treated I laundered and dried them each according to their care instructions. These were the results.


I like how the shirt that was treated with Oxi Clean turned out the best. Plus, this was the easiest treatment!


The shirt that was treated with dish soap and peroxide only turned out okay, but the one below that also used baking soda was much better. However, this is an added step and time.




The shirt using only the aspirin and water for treatment turned out the worst. Even though the water started out boiling, I wasn't able to get aspirin to completely dissolve. If I were to try this method for stain removing in the future I would start by crushing the aspirin.

All in all, I was the most happy with the Oxi Clean and, bonus, it wasn't super involved! What do you do to remove pit stains?

*All shirts were clean before stain removing process began and were washed in separate loads.

1 comment:

  1. Good to know. Oxiclean can be used safely on more fabric types than the other stain treatments.

    ReplyDelete