December 10, 2012

Waste Not, Want Not

This picture makes me laugh every time I see it. I remember the colors and textures of these outfits so clearly. I am the one on the right and my sister (also crafty) is on the left. We were all set ready to walk to church on Easter Sunday. We are holding Easter chickens in our hands.

My mom (Helen) was often given clothing and fabric from people that knew she knew how to sew. She turned those hand me downs in to the very most fabulous things. She never wasted a thing, and we very rarely "wanted" for much. The jackets were wool that was reborn as children's bolero style jackets. Gloria has that added little detail of a rabbit because she was only a four year old in this picture and it made the jacket more age appropriate.The skirts were also down sized adult pleated skirts. The only thing that she did not make were the Easter bonnets and even they were cleaned up and a few artificial flowers added. Don't you wonder what was in those purses?

No comments:

Post a Comment